No comedy here: Comments on NYT piece re banks profit from cold call scams Tweet
A scam to watch out for Tweet
Mutual Benefits Ties For First Place Techno-scammers* seek privacy and avoid publicity. Why would they want attention to the good thing they have going? They like the scant law enforcement by federal and state consumer abuse regulators. They have perfected the art of offering “near-scams.” They are a growth industry. So many scams to choose […]
Award to Recognize Entrepreneurial Talent of Another Kind It is a daunting task: So many scamsters, just one award. Not enough credit has been given for the creativity, dedication and artfulness of 21st Century scamsters. To remedy that, I am starting a new award, the 2011 Scam of The Year Award in March 2012. What’s […]
New Source for Commencement Speakers? After I told the Greater Cheyenne Chamber of Commerce (GCCC) about the unauthorized use of the GCCC logo by the Mutual Benefits website (it implied an endorsement), the GCCC recruited Mutual Benefits as a member. However, the GCCC may need to add a new category—like techno scam. Rather than being […]
For Creativity in Techno Scamming When no other economic stimulus idea works, get the words entrepreneurial and spirit into the mix: President Obama and top GOP candidates agree our entrepreneurial spirit can lift us out of our economic doldrums. It may be an admission they have run out of ideas of their own—complete with the […]
What Happened to International-Destinations’ 888-Number? This morning International-Destinations 888-680-5749 “booking” number announced it was “disconnected” or had “moved.” Then it went up again. What was going on? If new to my blog, International-Destinations sends robo-faxes—with Continental Airlines logo illegally shown—to tens of thousands of consumers. I-D claims to have airline/land packages at unbelievably low rates […]
Part 2: High Grade “Near Scam” By PissedConsumer.com? Scam Sighting? A judge in Federal Court is still thinking about this one: Is the website www.PissedConsumer.com a front for a reputation management scam or a legit consumer advocate business? For consumers, the question is Does PissedConsumer (PC) use Internet technology to manipulate consumers for hidden profitable […]
Part 1:Low Grade Scam By International-Destinations International-Destinations has a scam so glaringly obvious that it makes me admire professionals who are impressively creative when they are outrageously crooked. Brief: A FAX arrived as a Memo with the Continental Airlines Logo displayed. It came from the H. R. DEPT of an otherwise unnamed company. It offers […]
No Hurry To Alert Consumers BBM!! BUYER BEWARE MOMENT I stumbled into this today while ordering two items from drugstore.com. A screen box lured me to buy more, “You’re just $7.12 from free shipping.” I fell for it. I ordered a third item for $19, doubling my total to $38. As soon as it processed […]
- This Is Customer Service Week! October 6, 2010
- FedEx Wins DIBY Award March 22, 2011
- Comcast Service: Overwhelmed, Understaffed February 10, 2013
- Mutual Benefits Joins GCC of C October 4, 2011
- Bernie Madoff: Is He Now A Consumerist? April 14, 2011
- Scam Sightings August 3, 2011
- Comcast Asks Me To Risk My Life April 22, 2012
- What Is Trump Doing For Consumers? March 18, 2017
- Obama Wiretapped Trump? March 5, 2017
- Trump Will Propose Show Trials February 8, 2017
- Christie to Get Pardon from Trump December 22, 2016
- Exclusive Interview With Donald Trump October 18, 2016
- Sue the Saudis–But Not Wells Fargo? October 8, 2016
- Stumpf Not Stumped September 27, 2016
- Charles Selden: Was this fixed?...
- Bob Reynolds: I had the same experience using individual bank pa...
- Elizabeth Propst: This comes as no surprise to me, anyone ever try t...
- Win Quibids: Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog ...
- Charles Selden: Mark: Thanks. Sorry it took so long to get back. I...
- Darren: Same to us, would like to know if anyone has pursu...
- ComcastMark: Hi there! I work for Comcast. I just wanted to...
Why This Blog?
Consumerist Manifesto Search
- A Few Good Managers (1)
- Book Reviews (1)
- Categories (182)
- Consumer Comp (5)
- Consumerist Issue (2)
- Consumers and 2016 (2)
- Corporate Awards (17)
- Customer Service (10)
- Deferred Prosecution (1)
- DieselGate (3)
- John Stumpf (1)
- Letters (3)
- Outstanding Techno-Scammer Award (2)
- Resources (1)
- The Six Consumer Abuses (3)
- Trump (10)
- Uncategorized (10)
- Wells Fargo (2)